SQUASH MATCH SUNDAY
“Youtube: the hangover cure of champions”
Little introduction to this article series:
• 3 matches will be spotlighted every Sunday morning based on their nostalgic qualities, their in-ring performances, their campiness, and their performers’ contributions to today’s wrestling world.
• Will always showcase the big 3 (WWF/E, WCW, TNA).
• Will sprinkle in some ECW every now and then. We don’t want TOO much bloodshed too early in the morning, now do we?
• Not EVERY match will be a squash, but it’s always nice to see the fan favorite totally dominate.
• Main event of Squash Match Sunday will normally have a title on the line, and will ALWAYS be a quality wrestling match.
Now as Randy Orton says before squatting over a diva’s purse…let’s get to the action!
EARLY BIRD SPECIAL
For our Opening Match, we have Terra Ryzing taking on Brian Armstrong back in 1994. Or in laymen’s terms, Triple H vs. Road Dogg in a WCW ring.
MID CARD HANGOVER
Our second match of the morning shows off the TNA X Division circa 2004, as challenger AJ Styles takes on X-Division Champ Petey “Canadian Destroyer” Williams. This match is dedicated to Kevin McElvaney, who absolutely idolized Petey Williams back in the day.
Not a squash match by any means. Just wanted to put an AJ Styles match on here.
Things to keep an eye/ear out for:
• Last time I saw pyro that pathetic, I was watching Gillberg come to the ring.
• Shine on, you crazy six-sided ring!!!
• Wow! Forgot alllll about the ‘Oh, Canada!’
• Also forgot all about Team Canada in general. Look at those sweet matching pleather jackets!
YOUR MAIN EVENT OF THE MORNING
Now I know that we had a WWE main event last week, but in honor of next week’s WWE Night of Champions PPV I figured we could replay a championship match from the VERY FIRST Night of Champions. Back when it was called WWF Vengeance, that is. In this match, we see the Undertaker take on Rob…Van….Dam for the prestigious WWF Hardcore Title.
(to get to the match, skip to 5:00)
Your main event worthy commentary of the afternoon:
• Why why WHY does Michael Cole call the trash can a trash ‘container’???
• In Part 2 around 3:46, I seriously think RVD kicked the Undertaker in the taint. Either that, or the Undertaker let out the weirdest sell in recorded wrestling history.
• The Undertaker’s face after the match tells it all. I’m sure he was thinking “I went through all that for a smashed Winged Eagle title?!?!”
Well that about does it from my end, enjoy your Sunday afternoon and remember to give that bum near your work some change…it might be Scott D’Amore!