Little introduction to this article series:
• 3 matches will be spotlighted every Sunday morning based on their nostalgic qualities, their in-ring performances, their campiness, and their performers’ contributions to today’s wrestling world.
• Will always showcase the big 3 (WWF/E, WCW, TNA).
• Will sprinkle in some ECW every now and then. We don’t want TOO much bloodshed too early in the morning, now do we?
• Not EVERY match will be a squash, but it’s always nice to see the fan favorite totally dominate.
• Main event of Squash Match Sunday will normally have a title on the line, and will ALWAYS be a quality wrestling match.
Now before we get to the action, I’d like to apologize for not posting last Sunday. My apology comes in the form of WWF’s old school viewer discretion warning being read by the original diva…Sunny!
EARLY BIRD SPECIAL
Christopher Daniels takes on Rhino in a 2009 TNA ring….I mean a 1999 ECW ring! Did somebody order a side of SWERVE with their Early Bird Special???…no?…ok, I’ll send it back.
MID CARD HANGOVER
Our Mid Card Hangover takes us back to 2009 as Triple H (YES, HE USED TO BE A WRESTLER) takes on John Morrison (YES, HE USED TO BE WITH MELINA) on Friday Night Smackdown (YES, PEOPLE USED TO WATCH IT).
Things to keep an eye/ear out for:
• Jim Ross definitely calls John Morrison a “young Rick Rude”…I miss you JR.
• Now apparently, HHH had to take part in TWO more matches after this. Imagine if he lost the first match. Would he have to compete in the other two? How awkward would that be???
• I wish I had more scathing, pithy comments but this is a well-called match.
YOUR MAIN EVENT OF THE MORNING
WCW Cruiserweights invade YOUR main event of the morning as the WCW Cruiserweight Champ Dean Malenko takes on the J-Crown Cruiserweight Champion Ultimo Dragon in a Title Unification match at Clash of the Champions 1997.
Your main event worthy commentary of the afternoon:
• Carrying 8 titles to the ring automatically makes you a heel. Being foreign? Double heel!
• Why did Mike Tenay join right as the match start? Was he being shy during the intros?
• I seriously want to see Sonny Onoo hold his pants up with the WCW Cruiserweight belt.
• …Damn! I gotta stop picking amazing matches. Enjoy the wrasslin folks!
Well that about does it from my end, enjoy your Sunday afternoon!