• 3 matches will be spotlighted every Sunday morning based on their nostalgic qualities, their in-ring performances, their campiness, and their performers’ contributions to today’s wrestling world.
• Not EVERY match will be a squash, but it’s always nice to see the fan favorite totally dominate.
• Main event of Squash Match Sunday will normally have a title on the line, and will ALWAYS be a quality wrestling match.
…Let’s get to the action!
EARLY BIRD SPECIAL
Let’s start off Squash Match Sunday with the most historic squash match in pro wrestling history. You know what I’m talking about…it’s the Fingerpoke of Doom! I apologize for the quality…and the video is kind of bad too.
MID CARD HANGOVER
Jake “The Snake” Roberts takes on “The Model” Rick Martel in their infamous Blindford match at Wrestlemania VII. This match came about because Martel blinded Roberts with his big cologne sprayer. And no, that’s not what she said.
Things to keep an eye/ear out for:
• This is quite possibly the only tolerable Blindfold match. Honorable mention: Jamie Noble vs. Nidia in a Boyfriend vs. Girlfriend Blindfold match at No Way Out 2004.
• It’s funny to think of Jake Roberts as a fan favorite, as you can see when he’s using the crowd to help find Martel. You rarely see a face these days who are slow, methodical, soft-spoken and carries a large reptile.
YOUR MAIN EVENT OF THE MORNING
TU evento principal de la noche…whoops…I mean YOUR Main Event of the Morning takes us to AAA Lucha Libre where a 19 year old Rey Mysterio Jr, Heavy Metal and Latin Lover take on Fuerza Guerrero, Madonna’s Boyfriend (Louie Spicolli) and Psychosis in an exciting six man tag team match to cap off your Sunday morning.
Your main event worthy commentary of the afternoon:
• Only Louie Spicolli would have the in-ring name of “Madonna’s Boyfriend”. RIP creator of the Spicolli Driver.
• WWE can learn a thing or two from this match. One of them being to have 2 overweight, suspender-wearing Mexican men as the referees.
• Be amazed at how young these guys are as well as the skill they’re showing off! Marvel at the most anti-climactic ending in pro wrestling history!
• Seriously, I miss WCW’s cruiserweight division so much. Do I mention that enough??
Well that about does it from my end, enjoy your Sunday afternoon!