SQUASH MATCH SUNDAY
“Featuring wins as easy as Sunday morning”
Hey guys, so I’ve been insanely sick all week and haven’t had the brain power to pick and critique three matches so here’s the very FIRST Squash Match Sunday for your consideration!
EARLY BIRD SPECIAL
Our first match features WWE Hall of Famers Hacksaw Jim Duggan and Sgt. Slaughter teaming up to take on the Beverly Brothers. No witty commentary needed for this match AND it will only waste 3 minutes of your time!
MID CARD HANGOVER
Our mid card match showcases the cruiserweight division of WCW, where we have Jamie Noble squaring off against Jimmy Yang (both former members of the Yung Dragons). While this match isn’t technically considered a squash based on the equal amount of offense that both these men present in this match, the brief amount of time allotted for the match makes it more than a candidate for Squash Match Sunday.
Things to keep an eye/ear out for:
• A plug for WCW Backstage Assault, the widely panned Playstation game that tried to market off of the hardcore movement that was taking place around that time.
• The god awful WCW commentary team, especially the line “WOAH!!! HE’S PRETTY FLY FOR A WHITE GUY!!” uttered by Mark Madden (I believe). This phrase perfectly describes the vibe of WCW circa 2000.
• “LUGER’S UP TO SOMETHING!!!”
YOUR MAIN EVENT OF THE MORNING
Our main event features Samoa Joe (who was riding his 18-month undefeated streak) and Mr. Wrestling Machine himself, Kurt Angle. This match was a HUGE deal back in 2006 regardless of brand loyalty or how often you watched TNA. Samoa Joe was on a mythical level at this point, and Kurt Angle was (at this point) the hottest free-agent acquisition in TNA history.
Your main event worthy commentary of the afternoon:
• Good to see that TNA pulled out all the stops by holding this classic main event in the hallowed halls of the Impact! Zone.
• Not sure why Jeremy Borash had to mention that he weighed Angle that morning. I like to think that Angle was weighed that morning by Borash before they went out to the Golden Eagle Diner to split a grapefruit and some whole wheat flapjacks.
Well that about does it from my end, enjoy your Sunday and as Hacksaw Jim Duggan so eloquently says…..HOOOOOOO!