This week, the theme is giving.
First, some news on the Kickstarter campaign for the documentary Wrestling with Disaster.
Most of the time, fans watch wrestling and give little thought to the fact that wrestlers are actually people, too; with lives, families, and friends outside of the business. They have the same trials and tribulations that we all do.
The issues can be made worse, because of the pressure to maintain a character, to perform before an audience, and to succeed in a often lonely business. While wrestling has deep rooted spirit of comradeship, true friendships are often few and far between leaving some performers empty inside after the final bell rings. This is one of the many things that becomes a challenge for those involved.
Just as in any walk of life, some people will fail and some will flourish! Join Wrestling With Disaster as it gets inside the minds of some of your favorite stars from the past, present and future.
Nothing is held back as we speak to many well known stars such as Kevin Sullivan, Warlord, Fred “Tugboat/Typhoon” Ottman, DLo Brown, “Headbanger Thrasher” Glen Ruth, The Blue Meanie and many more!
One of the most gripping scenes in Wrestling With Disaster unfolded as we followed “The Genius” Lanny Poffo who is the brother of the late “Macho Man” Randy Savage to the tree where Randy died. The raw emotion continued as Lanny read us a poem he penned for his brother and spoke about the last conversation he had with him the night before he died.
With your help we will FINALLY be able to put the finishing touches on this documentary and show the world all of the amazing content that we have obtained!
Donations are a must to make this happen, but if you are short on cash, we’d ask that you share this on FB or Tweet about it to help get the world out #KICKSWWD
Now….it’s late October, and the holidays are approaching,
Christmas, Hanukkah, and New Year will soon be here. Your friendly not-so-local retail mega-store will soon be killing lots of trees to print advertisements to sell you and I all sorts of goodies. Holiday ads are already running on the shopping channels, and will soon be running on TV non-stop. People will maul each other to get this year’s “must have” for their kids or themselves.
But more in keeping with the actual spirit of the season, the wrestling community will reach out to those in need. Independent promotions hold a wide variety of events to benefit various food pantries, shelters, Toys for Tots drives. Over the years, promotions in my area ranging from the family-friendly United Wrestling Coalition to the hardcore themed Combat Zone Wrestling to indies of various sizes and types trough the United States and Canada. Even if you don’t have one in your own area this Holiday season, please take time to contribute to or volunteer with such organizations.
Seven promotions have agreed so far to do Toys for Tots and charitable-themed shows during the Holidays (and shortly before):
- Wrestling For A Cure II will be coming to the historical State Theatre in downtown South Bend on Saturday, November 2nd!
Ringside VIP tickets are $30, and include doors opening at 5:30 for a special meet and greet with Rhino, Shark Boy, Bruiser Jr.
For everyone else, doors open at 6:30. Non-VIP ringside tickets (if available) are $20. General
Admission is $12. Kids 10 and under are $8. Sorry, kids discount not available for ringside. VIP ringside tickets are selling fast! You can get yours only at Wrestlingforacure.com.
At this show: Former WWE superstar Rhino, former TNA superstar Shark Boy, Bruiser Jr., Jack Thriller, ROH superstar Tyson Dux, Jake Omen, Osyris, midget world champion P.O.D. and more!
70% of the gate goes to the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network. This show is in memory of Lisa Marie Parsons and David Wade Nicholas, and all others who have been affected by this terrible disease!
Hoosier Pro Wrestling returns to the HPW Arena at the 4-H Fairgrounds in Columbus, IN on Saturday November 2nd! For its 15 Year Anniversary and Columbus Friemens Cheer Toy Fundraiser for the 9th straight year! Former WWE, WCW, ECW Memphis Legend Wild Eyed Southern Boy Tracy Smothers comes in for the show along with Indy Superstar Flash Flanagan, NWA Ladies Champion Kacee Carlisle will battle Indy Diva Star Jessie Belle Smothers! PLEASE Bring a new or slightly used Toy to help Cheer Fund for kids in need at Christmas!
- HPW Wrestling 15 Year Anniversary/Firemens Cheer Fundraiser takes place Saturday November 2nd at the 4-H Fairgrounds, Columbus, IN .Bell 7:45PM doors open 7pm. Tickets $15 kid 4 & under free.
MaHPW Heavyweight Title Match
The Zombie Rob Ramer vs Dash Venture
Old School Tag Battle
Tracy Smothers & Flash Flanagan vs JKO & Sexy Shawn Cook
HPW Tag Titles 3 Way Dance
TVZ vs Blue Bomber & Chris Morrus & Damian Cole & Aaron Anarchy
NWA Ladies Champion Kacee Carlisle vs Indy Star Diva Jessie Belle Smothers
24/7 Title Match
TJ Kemp vs TJ Powers
Plus, Cooter Clampett, JD Marioni w/Niki, Fiji Wildman, Stompin Steve, Ace Perry, Fast Eddie, Sign Guy and Firemen Mike Wilson, Bryan Bailey & Eric will compete on this Star Studded Show
Alamo City, get ready to be on the edge of your seats! Cheer (or boo in some cases) your favorite wrestlers as they battle inside the squared circle! On Saturday, November 2, River City Wrestling (RCW) — serving as San Antonio’s brand of professional wrestling for 11 years — presents the sixth annual “Return to Glory.” The event will take place at the Aztec Indoor Soccer Arena, 9870 Marbach Rd. in San Antonio. Doors open at 7:30 p.m. and the event begins at 8 p.m. The VIP Meet n’ Greet begins promptly at 7:30 pm.
RCW is always willing to give back to the community and for this event we will be hosting a canned food drive for the San Antonio Food Bank. Please bring your non-perishable canned food items and we’ll deliver them to the San Antonio Food Bank in honor of the upcoming holiday season. In addition, a portion of the event’s proceeds will be donated to the San Antonio Food Bank.
Tickets will be sold at the door (cash or credit card) and are as follows: front row, all ages are $15; general admission, adults are $12; general admission, kids ages 4-18 years and adults with a military/student ID are $10; and children three years and younger are free. Advance tickets are online at rcw-wrestling.com or ticketweb.com. Advance tickets are cheaper than those sold at the door with group discounts also available.
VIP packages are also available, and are as follows at the door (cash or credit card): $25 for front row, $20 general admission adults and $18 general admission kids or military/student ID. VIP passes include a Meet n’ Greet with RCW stars at 7:30 p.m., a free hot dog and soda ($3 value), a free 11″x17″ color poster ($2 value), and first choice of seating. The VIPs will be allowed to enter the building first when the doors open.
The main event will feature two world-renowned superstars of the ring. RCW will crown its first Legends Champion between “The Notorious 187” Homicide and Devon Dudley. The credentials of both of these athletes is nothing short of amazing. Homicide is a former holder of both the Tag Team and X-Division Championships in Total Nonstop Action (TNA) and a former Ring of Honor Champion. Dudley has held Tag Team Championships in every single major promotion he has competed for (World Wrestling Entertainment, TNA, World Championship Wrestling and Extreme Championship Wrestling) and a former TNA Television Champion. History will be made in San Antonio!
In addition, TNA superstar and RCW Icon “The Super-Mex” Hernandez will team with “The Samoan Beast” Michael Faith and put their RCW Tag Team Titles on the line in a Triple Threat Match against Big Sed/Nemesis and Honkey Kong/Koty Price.
The RCW Championship will be on the line in a rematch as champion “Sexual Chile” Joey Spector with his manager Brandon “Boom Boom” Oliver will face Ring King Christian Valenz.
Talk about interesting stipulations — “Stix” Rob Love will face Mr. O in which the loser must kiss the winner’s foot!
Also in action will be “Main Event” Mike Foxx, RCW Phoenix Champion Matthew Palmer, Erik Ortiz, MItch Baxter, Candy White and more!
The event is sponsored by The Roof Doctor, Sideliners Grill and the San Antonio Talons.
More information can be found at rcw-wrestling.com or by calling (210) 842-8398.
- Elkmania: Live Pro Wrestling takes place on Saturday, November 2nd at the Beverly/Salem Elks Lodge on 39 Bow Street in Beverly, MA. Doors Open at 7:00pm Bell Time 7:30 pm. Tickets cost $10.00 and are available at the door and at Harrison’s Comic’s on 252 Essex Street in Salem, MA. All proceeds from this event will go towards the Elks National Foundation which supports youth programs, veteran services and scholarshipsElkmania Matches:
Project Zero Wrestling Heavyweight Championship
Stevie James (c) vs. Derek Simonetti
Triple Threat Match for the Bay State Championship
“The Unequaled One” Todd Sople vs. Buddy Romano vs. “Dastardly” Doug Summers
1stRound Elkmania Tournament:
Richy Sic vs. Jon Wilson
1stRound Elkmania Tournament:
Joey Warner vs. “The Wrestling Machine” Tommy Corbin
Elkmania Tournament Finals
Sic/Wilson Winner vs. Warner/Corbin Winner
Open Challenge for the NCW Tag Team Championship
The Inglorious Dastards vs. ?????
Anthony Stone vs. “Sensational” Scott Levesque
Fans Choice Match
“The Original Showoff” Mike Paiva vs. An opponent of the fans choosing
USA vs. UK
“Slam Master” Atlee Greene vs. Union Jack
Also scheduled to appear: Lumberjake, Firecat, Hunter Ward, and many more.
- Slam Championship Wrestling presents WRESTLE FOR TOTS on Saturday, November 9 at Pinegrove Fire Hall, Gloucester City, NJ. Come out and see wrestling superstars, such as: The Patriot, Patch, Breaker Morant, Latin Connection, and Donnie Hart, and more…
Doors open 6:30/pm 7:30 pm. Tickets: Children under 12 and under $7, Adults $10. Bring a new unwrapped toy for a child, and get a FREE 8×10 picture of a WWE Superstar
- First State Wrestling returns to Harrington, DE on November 16 for a pediatric cancer benefit show in a night featuring 3 Tables Ladder and Chairs Matches.
Here is your November 16th LINE UP for First State Wrestling goes EXTREME on CANCER1- 1CW Tag Title Match
Champions Pretty Ugly vs WBDC in a TLC & Toilet Seat Match
2- 1CW Cruiser Champion Eric Chapel defends in a fatal 4way vs Chance Sevenfold vs Juan Montoya vs ?????
3- 1CW Hwt Title Champion Mark Harro defends against Christian York vs Justin Credible in a 3 way TLC Match
4- Black Wall St ( Drolix /Lennox& Solo) vs the Brotherhood of Brutality (Adam Flash/ Vinnie Damoochie & a NEW MEMBER)
5- Sinister X vs the Samoan Tsunami NUI
6- Muddy Waters vs the Funky White Boy
7- Country Force vs D& D Destruction Co (Sonny Deeds & Scott Dukes) in a TLC Match
8- SPECIAL SURPRISE TAG MATCH !!! ****
- CZW and the Maven Bentley Association are teaming up once again. This time, there will be a food drive at “Night of Infamy XII” at the Flyers Skate Zone in Voorhees, NJ on November 2. Our request of all fans attending the event is simple. Please bring at least one non-perishable food item with you. It could be a can of soup, a box of instant macaroni & cheese, a box of stuffing, etc. When the week of December 6th rolls around, the food donations will be taken to this year’s “Campout For Hunger” brought to the Philadelphia area by Preston and Steve of 93.3 WMMR-FM. Let’s all do our part to help those less fortunate as the holiday season approaches.
- DJ Hyde has agreed and plans are underway for the annual Toys for Tots collection (in conjunction with the Marine Corps Reserve) to take place for the ninth year in a row to have Combat Zone Wrestling and the 15th annual Cage of Death on December 14 at The Flyers Skate Zone, 601 Laurel Oak Road, Voorhees, NJ with a 7:30 pm bell time. Tickets can be purchased at the door, or online.
- ECWA will be doing its second annual Toys for Tots show on Saturday, December 7 with Toys for Tots II in Newark, DE.So as I ask promotions and readers each year, please e-mail any announcements about scheduled Holiday charitable-themed (fund-raisers for clothes, food pantries or Toys for Toys, etc.) wrestling or MMA events to email@example.com.
Until next time…
If you have comments or questions, or if you’d like to add the AS I SEE IT column to your website, I can be reached by e-mail at the address above. If you’d like to add advertising on PWBTS.com (the flagship website of this column), banner ads are available for $400 for one year. These ads would appear on each newspage appearing on the newsboard. Cube ads are available for $200 for one year, which would be placed on the main newsboard page.