Well…I certainly got a lot of response from last week’s column.
One of the more detailed was a series of responses from one reader, Chad Richards:
First, Chad’s reponse to my column of last week.
“Your column today reminded me of something Jim Cornette said several years ago. There are 3 types of WWE fans:
1) The people that will watch when a once and a lifetime phenomenon like Steve Austin comes along
2) The people that will watch when the product is good
3) The people that will watch no matter how bad or good the product is and complain about it either way
After reading your column I went into your archive to see what you wrote after WrestleMania 20. The night WWE gave the internet fans what they had been wanting for years. I wanted to see if even then you were truly happy with what WWE gave you. Your column made no mention of it, instead you were mad that WWE was drafting wreslters to different brands. That confirmed what I thought….if Daniel Bryan won the title last Sunday clean in the middle and had a boyhood dream celebration you still would not have been happy.
CM Punk and Daniel Bryan are internet heroes but the people who cheer for them on the internet are not the fans WWE should be marketing its product to because 1) those fans will never be happy and 2) the majority of them don’t even buy WWE’s product. I’ll never forget around Money in the Bank 2011….on the message boards I read all anyone was talking about was how this was the best angle WWE had run in years, Punk better win, etc…then the day of the show all I see is the same people posting ‘anyone got a good stream?’ That’s why when the buyrate for Money In the Bank 2011 and this years SummerSlam came in, I sure wasn’t surprised…
…I never see you talk about New Japan in your columns. Why is that? Do you watch it? Wrestling fans who enjoy GOOD wrestling have been talking about it for over a year. We don’t watch WWE. If you are a true wrestling fan and you want to see GOOD wrestling, not watch bad wrestling just for the sake of complaining about it, you should be watching New Japan and writing about how great it has been this year. There’s no excuse anymore…all the great shows are on Youtube almost immediately after they end FOR FREE. When the Observer Awards come out this year, at least half of the Top 10 and probably all of the Top 5 will be New Japan matches. I never see you write about them though.
Bob, your have an archive of nearly 15 years worth of columns. All one has to do is read through it to see WWE has infuriated you for 15 years straight. The only conclusion one can draw is that you watch it at this point for the distinct purporse of getting mad and writing about it….
Let me offer some answers here.
First, for the years I’ve owned this website, its major aim has been to promote independent wrestling… as both a training ground FOR and an alternative TO WWE (and back in the day, WCW). So most of what I do on my PWBTS.com website is to promote alternatives to WWE.
Back to WWE. As I told Chad, I’d have been happier with ANY storyline that didn’t feature the McMahons front and center. Even if they had, and had a clean finish at the end for Danielson, yes, I would have. Because the storyline would have had a beginning, middle, and end that went to a logical conclusion. The only logical finish is for Danielson to go over.
Do I think Danielson needed to keep it forever? God, no. Let a good heel beat him, when the time is right via a storyline that makes sense, and features wrestlers, not one that features the McMahons as lead characters. Hell, let Orton do it…but after a while.
Anyone who reads this column knows I’ve watched the Fed since I moved to New Jersey in 1969, and first saw wrestling from the Northeast. I’ve watched everything from old Crockett to Georgia Championship Wrestling to ECW to Smoky Mountain Wrestling (and had a blast at the Fanweeks with its oldtime product) to local kiddie shows to FMW to New Japan to CMLL (and am pleased that have started to give fans an alternative to watch in a lot of markets).
Chad suggested I point out alternatives, so I’ll be happy to do it in this case. For those of you looking to watch the new show on Azteca America, called Lucha Azteca, go to Azteca America’s affiliate list to see if you have an affiluate in your market, and if it’s airing the show. It aired this past Saturday with Arena Mexico matches from two weeks ago
More from Chad:
I’m 30 and I’ve been watching non stop since 1988. WWE stopped getting me upset years ago. Do I think what you expected from the angle is logical? Sure. Did I expect it to happen? Not a chance. This is what WWE does. We use to say it would be better when Vince was gone but that’s no longer the case. The company is merely a vehicle to put over HHH and the McMahon family at the expense of everyone else. That’s all it will ever be until they start losing money. We can get upset over it or we can find good wrestling somewhere else. I choose the latter.
One of the aims of a company producing a television and PPV product is to get viewers. So take a look at this year to year ratings chart for WWE.
(Graphic courtesy: Bodybuilding.com)
So if one of your prime aims in a company is to produce a television “action adventure show” (aka wrestling show) and obtain viewership….and your ratings are less than half what they were in 1999….something is clearly wrong. Go back to 1999. That’s the “Attitude Era”.
No one says we have to have every overdone aspect of the Attitude Era. But at least the aspects of it that would work in 2013 need to be looked at and added to the product.
Christmas, Hanukkah, and New Year will soon be here. The Christmas movies have started. Your friendly not-so-local retail mega-store has been killing trees to print advertisements to sell us iPad, IPhone, or iSomethings, along with the latest game killing bad guys, zombies, or whatever, for our kids or ourselves.
Back to the spirit of the season…. the wrestling community is reaching out to those in need. Independent promotions hold a wide variety of events to benefit various food pantries, shelters, Toys for Tots drives.
Over the years, promotions in my area from the family-friendly United Wrestling Coalition to the hardcore themed Combat Zone Wrestling ranging to indies of various sizes and types trough the United States and Canada. Even if you don’t have one in your own area this Holiday season, please take time to contribute to or volunteer with such organizations.
These promotions have agreed so far to do Toys for Tots and charitable-themed shows during the Holidays (and shortly before):
- First State Wrestling returns to Harrington, DE on November 16 for a pediatric cancer benefit show in a night featuring 3 Tables Ladder and Chairs Matches.Here is your November 16th LINE UP for First State Wrestling goes EXTREME on CANCER
1- 1CW Tag Title Match
Champions Pretty Ugly vs WBDC in a TLC & Toilet Seat Match
2- 1CW Cruiser Champion Eric Chapel defends in a fatal 4way vs Chance Sevenfold vs Juan Montoya vs ?????
3- 1CW Hwt Title Champion Mark Harro defends against Christian York vs Justin Credible in a 3 way TLC Match
4- Black Wall St ( Drolix /Lennox& Solo) vs the Brotherhood of Brutality (Adam Flash/ Vinnie Damoochie & a NEW MEMBER)
5- Sinister X vs the Samoan Tsunami NUI
6- Muddy Waters vs the Funky White Boy
7- Country Force vs D& D Destruction Co (Sonny Deeds & Scott Dukes) in a TLC Match
8- SPECIAL SURPRISE TAG MATCH !!! ****
- To the UK….The professional wrestling business has a proud tradition of charity work, and raising money for good causes; and on Sunday 24th November 2013, this continues; as we stage a show, and a raffle, for Cancer Research UK, at Seaton Burn College, in Newcastle Upon Tyne.Here are all the details, and information you need to know, for this evening of fun, fighting, and family entertainment that you will not want to miss!
The UK’s CAWS returns to action on Sunday 24th November 2013 at the Seaton Burn College, Dudley Lane, Seaton Burn, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE13 6EJ. Doors Open : 6pm/Show Starts : 6.30pm
Tickets : £4 adult, £3 children, £10 for two adults/two children. Reserve Tickets via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Matches Confirmed :
(Singles Match) : El Striko VS CK Edwards!
(Open Challenge) : Billy Morrison makes an open challenge for anyone to face him in a ‘World Of Sport’ style match!
(Singles Match) : Rubix Roach VS Jainus Centurion!
(Singles Match) : Alex Windham vs Scotty Andrews!
Scheduled To Appear : ‘Kowboy’ Dan West, Brett Egal, Super Hungry, the controversial ‘#Perfect’ P.T. Player & ‘The Original Bad Influence’ Lisa Phoenix
- 3XW returns for November Knockout 5 on Friday November 22nd, at Baratta’s @ Forte, 615 3rd Street. Des Moines, Iowa 50309Doors open at 6:45 pm for advance ticket holders. Doors open at 7 pm for everyone else. Bell time is 7:30 pm
We are very happy to announce we will once again be collecting new, unwrapped toys for Toys for Tots at the door of the event this year!
We are also very happy to be collecting items for the Boys & Girls Club’s “Feed the Hungry” program. This includes non-perishable food items that can be used for kids & families that may not have enough food in the pantry to make it through some weeks or weekends. Please help by bringing a food item with you to the event if you can.
3XW Heavyweight Championship
“The Intellectual Punk” Tony Sly vs. Gage Octane (c)
5 on 5 Elimination Tag Team match
American Bulldogs – Maddog McDowell & “The American Fury” Jon West, AJ Smooth, Ricky Love & Ray Stryker vs. The Kansas City Killers – 3XW Tag Team champions – Mark Sterling & “The Rebel” Jeremy Wyatt, The King Brothers – Jake & Ryan King & “Showtime” Bradley Charles w/Skylar Pierce
3XW Pure Wrestling Championship
Rebelucha vs. “The Rockstar” Jimmy Rockwell (c)
Brady A Dezire vs. 2013 King of Des Moines “The Natural” JJ Garrett
Levi McDaniel vs. “Delicious” Devin Carter
Emperor Kwong w/Chad Mylan vs. Geek Singh
“The Right Price” Aaron Masterson vs. Derek Cornell
*Card subject to change
Adult Front Row $19 Advance Tickets | $21 at the Door
Kids Front Row $10 Advance Tickets | $11 at the Door
Adult General Admission $13 Advance Tickets | $16.00 at the Door
Kids 10 & Under $7.00
Kids 3 & Under FREE Admission
Tickets will be on sale on November 2nd at:
Jay’s CD & Hobby
3315 SE 14th St
Des Moines, IA
Cup O’ Kryptonite – The Original Coffee & Comic shop!
2608 Beaver Ave
Des Moines, IA
This event is sponsored by: Aspen Athletics, Prints Copy Center, Henry J’s Taco House, and White’s Automotive.
- ECWA will be doing its second annual Toys for Tots show on Saturday, December 7 with Toys for Tots II in Newark, DE at the Greater Newark Boys & Girls Club, 109 Glasgow Drive, Rt 40 & #1, Positive Place Newark, DEPLEASE join us and the United States Marine Corps as we collect unwrapped, new toys for our annual Toys for Tots toy drive. PLEASE BRING A TOY!
Triple Threat for the ECWA Tag Team Championship
D-Line(c ) vs. Breaker Morant/Apollyon vs. Legion of Destruction
Title vs. Career
*If Wylde loses he has to leave the ECWA forever!
Ricky ‘The Model’ Martinez(c ) w/Renee Michelle vs. ‘Heartkiller’ Chris Wylde w/ WWE Hall of Famer and former leader of the 4 Horsemen JJ Dillon
Kai Katana returns!.
- The original promotion in the Philadelphia area (to my knowledge) to do Toys for Tots style collections with United Wrestling Coalition holds their 17th annual Toys for Tots (this year, as an Operation Santa Toys) show on December 7. At the December Toy drive show, the only reserved seating will go to those pledging a new bicycle donation. One new bicycle will get you five reserved seats – front and center for a night of the absolute finest pro wrestling action and community involvement – all designed to place toys in the arms and smiles in the hearts of very well deserving children. The December 7 show will also feature many door prize/raffle items – a family tradition that UWC has been carrying out for 17 years! For more information, contact UWC at 609-792-9328 or friend us on Facebook – we are Real UWC NJ.
- Dynamite Championship Wrestling returns to Milford, DE on December 14 in a Toys for Tots show
EVENT BENEFITS THE KENT/SUSSEX COUNTY DELAWARE MARINE TOYS FOR TOTS FOUNDATION. ALL TOY DONATIONS MUST BE BRAND NEW & UNWRAPPED.~INTERNATIONAL HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP~
“3RD GENERATION SUPERSTAR” LANCE ANOA’I (vs) (C) “THE NEW STANDARD” CORY KASTLE
“Lance is returning for the first time since his injury at the Honor Cup suffered at the hands of Kao Storm & Cory Kastle. Lance has vowed to extract revenge on Kastle and to win his first Championship in DCW, the Undisputed Championship!”
(C) “A+” AKEN PEMBROOKE (vs) “2013 KING OF MARYLAND” SKULL
“Skull was originally scheduled to compete in the 2013 Honor Cup but was unable to due to a death in his family. Seven months later, Skull finally gets his chance to wrestle in front of the DCW & PPW fans; this time with that chance being for the PPW Championship!”
~1ST EVER HARRO ATHLETICS BATTLE FOR THE BAND!~
Harro Athletics Sensei (Head Trainer) & DCW Tag Team Champion “XTC’S” MARK “THE DRAGONFLY HARRO (vs) “2012 HONOR CUP CHAMPION” JJ CRUZ
“Harro Athletics takes the main stage in this monumental match-up. Despite being a former Honor Cup Winner, Tag Team, & No Limit Champion, fan favorite JJ Cruz must Battle DCW Grand Slam Winner & friend, Mark Harro to determine Cruz’s Graduation of Harro Athletics!”
~DCW NO LIMIT CHAMPIONSHIP/~4-WAY DANCE~
(C) “THE MAPLELEAF MACHINE” KAO STORM (vs) SHAWN SCOTT (vs)
ANDREW STEELE (vs)”THE REDNECK CONSPIRACIST” BIG COUNTRY
~PPW TRI-STATE CHAMPIONSHIP/~20-MAN OVER THE TOP ROPE BATTLE ROYAL~
(C) DCW Tag Team Champion: “Dirty” Sonny Deeds defends the Tri-State Title against a cavalcade of superstars from both PPW & DCW!
~PPW TAG-TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP~
(C) PRETTY UGLY (vs) “WBDC” FAT DADDY MAC WILLIAMS & DOYLE DAY
~PPW ONE-ON-ONE MATCH~
PAT ANTHONY (vs) ERIC CHAPEL
MORE MATCHES TO BE ANNOUNCED!
~CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE!~
SATURDAY DECEMBER 14TH, 2013
CARLISLE FIRE DEPARTMENT
615 NW FRONT ST. Milford, DE 19963
DOORS OPEN AT 6PM
BELLTIME AT 7PM!
TICKETS ON-SALE NOW!
CALL 302-331-5408, 302-233-8071, OR 302-381-0734
FOR YOUR ADVANCE TICKETS TODAY!
EVENT TICKET PRICES
GENERAL ADMISSION IN ADVANCE= $10.00
GENERAL ADMISSION AT THE DOOR= $12.00
CHILDREN 4 & UNDER FREE W/ADULT
“No video to be taken without written permission of 3D Productions, Dynamite Championship Wrestling, Power Pro Wrestling or the Carlisle Fire Department.
This event is Approved by “The Delaware Department of Regulations #219”
- DJ Hyde and Combat Zone Wrestling have agreed and plans are underway for the annual Toys for Tots collection (in conjunction with the Marine Corps Reserve) to take place for the ninth year in a row to have Combat Zone Wrestling and the 15th annual Cage of Death on December 14 at The Flyers Skate Zone, 601 Laurel Oak Road, Voorhees, NJ with a 7:30 pm bell time. Tickets can be purchased at the door, or online.For those who purchase their tickets online, will gain early access at 4 pm for a FREE CZW Q&A!
Matches announced so far::
– In the Cage of Death: The Nation of Intoxication’s Danny Havoc, Devon Moore, & Lucky tHURTeen vs. Drew Blood, Ron Mathis, Rory Mondo, & Matt Tremont
– CZW Wired TV champion Alex Colon vs. Shane Strickland
– Christina von Eerie vs. The Campaign for a Better Combat Zone’s Kimber Lee
– Greg Excellent w/ Mama Excellent vs. Pepper Parks w/ Cherry Bomb
- North American Pro Wrestling will hold a “Toys for Tots Fundraiser” on Saturday, December 14 at the Hickory Grove Banquet Center, located at 1127 N. 7th Street Rochelle, IL.Doors Open 6:30pm Bell Time 7:30pm. It’s an all ages event, with alcohol available to those 21+. Tickets just $10 or 1 new unwrapped/un-opened toy
NAPW Heavyweight Championship for the vacant title:
Grin VS Anthony Antonelli w/KaDance Kelli
Plus: The NAPW return of the Midnight Express Reboot, former NAPW Champion Pauly Thomaselli, Machine, Jack Carpenter, The Chi-Town Hitman Frankie, Mike Anthony, and Dereck St Holmes and more! .
So as I ask promotions and readers each year, please e-mail any announcements about scheduled Holiday charitable-themed (fund-raisers for clothes, food pantries or Toys for Toys, etc.) wrestling or MMA events to email@example.com.
Until next time…
If you have comments or questions, or if you’d like to add the AS I SEE IT column to your website, I can be reached by e-mail at the address above. If you’d like to add advertising on PWBTS.com (the flagship website of this column), banner ads are available for $400 for one year. These ads would appear on each newspage appearing on the newsboard. Cube ads are available for $200 for one year, which would be placed on the main newsboard page.