It was eight years ago this past week that Eddie Guerrero left this world.
I first met Eddie Guerrero when he came into ECW in April 1994. There have been few within wrestling who’ve ever been genuinely nicer, or more approachable to fans than the Guerrero I got to know. I remember saying to a friend once that Eddie “always seemed to have a smile in his eyes”.
To this day…one of my most vivid ECW memories was the farewell show for Dean Malenko and Eddie on August 26, 1995. This may well have been the best match I’ve ever seen for the overall emotional experience combined with the actual match itself anywhere in wrestling. While Dean and Eddie worked better matches in ECW and in Japan, the sheer emotion of the toughest crowd in North America not to mention the fans, locker room, and Dean and Eddie themselves in tears, accompanied by Joey Styles doing the match call of his life as Guerrero and Malenko worked their last ECW match.
If you ever get the chance to get a DVD or an old VHS of the ECW TV August 29, 1995 show that featured this match, it is a classic and an absolute keeper. But I wish any of you reading this could have been there in person; because, as good a job as Styles’s call and Heyman’s editing did in communicating the feeling one had being there at the Arena that night, it could never do it justice entirely.
Eddie was a kind, decent man who remembered his friends. The most notable example I was able to see was that of Brian Hildebrand, who was remembered and supported on more than one occasion by Guerrero. I remember being the post-show bar scene at a WCW house show, when I saw Guerrero saying a prayer over his post-show meal…thought it was odd, and then later that night found out about Brian’s cancer.
I also remember the night in 1998 when WCW honored Hildebrand with a night dedicated to him in Knoxville, TN, with a classic match of Chris Jericho/ Eddie Guerrero against Dean Malenko/Chris Benoit… and with Ric Flair and the Four Horsemen presenting Brian with a championship belt, then getting Brian involved in the finish.
That Knoxville show was an event reported all over the wrestling world. Then, in 1999, there was the ‘Curtis Comes Home’ show in Rostraver, PA. Jim Cornette, Shane Douglas, Chris Jericho, Eddie Guerrero, Mick Foley, Chris Benoit, Dean Malenko, Tracy Smothers, Chris Candido, Tammy Sytch, Public Enemy, Dominic DeNucci, Al Snow, D-Lo Brown, Terry Taylor, Les Thatcher, and Sandy Scott took part in this tribute in Brian’s hometown.
For my brother and myself…and undoubtedly for many, many others; the fact that Eddie was clean and sober…and had been so for some time makes Guerrero’s passing that much harder to deal with. Guerrero was a man who’d found God, dealt with his demons, worked on his addictions to alcohol and other drugs being taken by God with so much to live for.
So shortly after the eighth anniversary, Eddie, we still remember…
Christmas, Hanukkah, and New Year will soon be here. The Christmas movies have started. Your friendly not-so-local retail mega-store has been killing trees to print advertisements to sell us iPad, IPhone, or iSomethings, along with the latest game killing bad guys, zombies, or whatever, for our kids or ourselves.
Back to the spirit of the season…. the wrestling community is reaching out to those in need. Independent promotions hold a wide variety of events to benefit various food pantries, shelters, Toys for Tots drives.
Over the years, promotions in my area from the family-friendly United Wrestling Coalition to the hardcore themed Combat Zone Wrestling ranging to indies of various sizes and types trough the United States and Canada. Even if you don’t have one in your own area this Holiday season, please take time to contribute to or volunteer with such organizations.
These promotions have agreed so far to do Toys for Tots and charitable-themed shows during the Holidays (and shortly before):
- Mega Championship Wrestling comes to Eleanor Plaza in Eleanor, WV on November 22 for Toys for Tots Santa’s Bash (8:00 pm belltime)Insanity vs. Billy Lit, Jamie Northstar vs. Chris Miles, Bulldozer vs. Tanner Reynolds, Jason “The Gift” Kincaid vs. “Pure Talent” Eric Darkstorm, Superstar Shane Matthews vs. Applachian Champion Smokey C, Mr. Sex Appeal Eric Steel vs MEGA Champion Kevin Tyler.
Ju\t bring in a new toy for a boy or girl for admission!Help us help these kids have a great Christmas.
- To the UK….The professional wrestling business has a proud tradition of charity work, and raising money for good causes; and on Sunday 24th November 2013, this continues; as we stage a show, and a raffle, for Cancer Research UK, at Seaton Burn College, in Newcastle Upon Tyne.Here are all the details, and information you need to know, for this evening of fun, fighting, and family entertainment that you will not want to miss!
The UK’s CAWS returns to action on Sunday 24th November 2013 at the Seaton Burn College, Dudley Lane, Seaton Burn, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE13 6EJ. Doors Open : 6pm/Show Starts : 6.30pm
Tickets : £4 adult, £3 children, £10 for two adults/two children. Reserve Tickets via email at email@example.com
Matches Confirmed :
* (Singles Match) : El Striko VS CK Edwards!
* (Open Challenge) : Billy Morrison makes an open challenge for anyone to face him in a ‘World Of Sport’ style match!
* (Singles Match) : Rubix Roach VS Jainus Centurion!
* (Singles Match) : Alex Windham vs Scotty Andrews!
Scheduled To Appear : ‘Kowboy’ Dan West, Brett Egal, Super Hungry, the controversial ‘#Perfect’ P.T. Player & ‘The Original Bad Influence’ Lisa Phoenix
- 3XW returns for November Knockout 5 on Friday November 22nd, at Baratta’s @ Forte, 615 3rd Street. Des Moines, Iowa 50309Doors open at 6:45 pm for advance ticket holders. Doors open at 7 pm for everyone else. Bell time is 7:30 pm
We are very happy to announce we will once again be collecting new, unwrapped toys for Toys for Tots at the door of the event this year!
We are also very happy to be collecting items for the Boys & Girls Club’s “Feed the Hungry” program. This includes non-perishable food items that can be used for kids & families that may not have enough food in the pantry to make it through some weeks or weekends. Please help by bringing a food item with you to the event if you can.
3XW Heavyweight Championship
“The Intellectual Punk” Tony Sly vs. Gage Octane (c)
5 on 5 Elimination Tag Team match
American Bulldogs – Maddog McDowell & “The American Fury” Jon West, AJ Smooth, Ricky Love & Ray Stryker vs. The Kansas City Killers – 3XW Tag Team champions – Mark Sterling & “The Rebel” Jeremy Wyatt, The King Brothers – Jake & Ryan King & “Showtime” Bradley Charles w/Skylar Pierce
3XW Pure Wrestling Championship
Rebelucha vs. “The Rockstar” Jimmy Rockwell (c)
Brady A Dezire vs. 2013 King of Des Moines “The Natural” JJ Garrett
Levi McDaniel vs. “Delicious” Devin Carter
Emperor Kwong w/Chad Mylan vs. Geek Singh
“The Right Price” Aaron Masterson vs. Derek Cornell
*Card subject to change
Adult Front Row $19 Advance Tickets | $21 at the Door
Kids Front Row $10 Advance Tickets | $11 at the Door
Adult General Admission $13 Advance Tickets | $16.00 at the Door
Kids 10 & Under $7.00
Kids 3 & Under FREE Admission
Tickets will be on sale on November 2nd at:
Jay’s CD & Hobby
3315 SE 14th St
Des Moines, IA
Cup O’ Kryptonite – The Original Coffee & Comic shop!
2608 Beaver Ave
Des Moines, IA
This event is sponsored by: Aspen Athletics, Prints Copy Center, Henry J’s Taco House, and White’s Automotive.
- ECWA will be doing its second annual Toys for Tots show on Saturday, December 7 with Toys for Tots II in Newark, DE at the Greater Newark Boys & Girls Club, 109 Glasgow Drive, Rt 40 & #1, Positive Place Newark, DE.PLEASE join us and the United States Marine Corps as we collect unwrapped, new toys for our annual Toys for Tots toy drive. PLEASE BRING A TOY!
Triple Threat for the ECWA Tag Team Championship
D-Line(c ) vs. Breaker Morant/Apollyon vs. Legion of Destruction
Title vs. Career
*If Wylde loses he has to leave the ECWA forever!
Ricky ‘The Model’ Martinez(c ) w/Renee Michelle vs. ‘Heartkiller’ Chris Wylde w/ WWE Hall of Famer and former leader of the 4 Horsemen JJ Dillon
Kai Katana returns!.
- The original promotion in the Philadelphia area (to my knowledge) to do Toys for Tots style collections with United Wrestling Coalition holds their 17th annual Toys for Tots (this year, as an Operation Santa Toys) show on December 7. At the December Toy drive show, the only reserved seating will go to those pledging a new bicycle donation. One new bicycle will get you five reserved seats – front and center for a night of the absolute finest pro wrestling action and community involvement – all designed to place toys in the arms and smiles in the hearts of very well deserving children. The December 7 show will also feature many door prize/raffle items – a family tradition that UWC has been carrying out for 17 years! For more information, contact UWC at 609-792-9328 or friend us on Facebook – we are Real UWC NJ.
- Dynamite Championship Wrestling returns to Milford, DE on December 14 in a Toys for Tots show
EVENT BENEFITS THE KENT/SUSSEX COUNTY DELAWARE MARINE TOYS FOR TOTS FOUNDATION. ALL TOY DONATIONS MUST BE BRAND NEW & UNWRAPPED.
~INTERNATIONAL HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP~
“3RD GENERATION SUPERSTAR” LANCE ANOA’I (vs) (C) “THE NEW STANDARD” CORY KASTLE
“Lance is returning for the first time since his injury at the Honor Cup suffered at the hands of Kao Storm & Cory Kastle. Lance has vowed to extract revenge on Kastle and to win his first Championship in DCW, the Undisputed Championship!”
(C) “A+” AKEN PEMBROOKE (vs) “2013 KING OF MARYLAND” SKULL
“Skull was originally scheduled to compete in the 2013 Honor Cup but was unable to due to a death in his family. Seven months later, Skull finally gets his chance to wrestle in front of the DCW & PPW fans; this time with that chance being for the PPW Championship!”
~1ST EVER HARRO ATHLETICS BATTLE FOR THE BAND!~
Harro Athletics Sensei (Head Trainer) & DCW Tag Team Champion “XTC’S” MARK “THE DRAGONFLY HARRO (vs) “2012 HONOR CUP CHAMPION” JJ CRUZ
“Harro Athletics takes the main stage in this monumental match-up. Despite being a former Honor Cup Winner, Tag Team, & No Limit Champion, fan favorite JJ Cruz must Battle DCW Grand Slam Winner & friend, Mark Harro to determine Cruz’s Graduation of Harro Athletics!”
~DCW NO LIMIT CHAMPIONSHIP/~4-WAY DANCE~
(C) “THE MAPLELEAF MACHINE” KAO STORM (vs) SHAWN SCOTT (vs)
ANDREW STEELE (vs)”THE REDNECK CONSPIRACIST” BIG COUNTRY
~PPW TRI-STATE CHAMPIONSHIP/~20-MAN OVER THE TOP ROPE BATTLE ROYAL~
(C) DCW Tag Team Champion: “Dirty” Sonny Deeds defends the Tri-State Title against a cavalcade of superstars from both PPW & DCW!
~PPW TAG-TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP~
(C) PRETTY UGLY (vs) “WBDC” FAT DADDY MAC WILLIAMS & DOYLE DAY
~PPW ONE-ON-ONE MATCH~
PAT ANTHONY (vs) ERIC CHAPEL
MORE MATCHES TO BE ANNOUNCED!
~CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE!~
SATURDAY DECEMBER 14TH, 2013
CARLISLE FIRE DEPARTMENT
615 NW FRONT ST. Milford, DE 19963
DOORS OPEN AT 6PM
BELLTIME AT 7PM!
TICKETS ON-SALE NOW!
CALL 302-331-5408, 302-233-8071, OR 302-381-0734
FOR YOUR ADVANCE TICKETS TODAY!
EVENT TICKET PRICES
GENERAL ADMISSION IN ADVANCE= $10.00
GENERAL ADMISSION AT THE DOOR= $12.00
CHILDREN 4 & UNDER FREE W/ADULT
“No video to be taken without written permission of 3D Productions, Dynamite Championship Wrestling, Power Pro Wrestling or the Carlisle Fire Department.
This event is Approved by “The Delaware Department of Regulations #219”
- DJ Hyde and Combat Zone Wrestling have agreed and plans are underway for the annual Toys for Tots collection (in conjunction with the Marine Corps Reserve) to take place for the ninth year in a row to have Combat Zone Wrestling and the 15th annual Cage of Death on December 14 at The Flyers Skate Zone, 601 Laurel Oak Road, Voorhees, NJ with a 7:30 pm bell time. Tickets can be purchased at the door, or online.For those who purchase their tickets online, will gain early access at 4 pm for a FREE CZW Q&A!
Matches announced so far::
– In the Cage of Death: The Nation of Intoxication’s Danny Havoc, Devon Moore, & Lucky tHURTeen vs. Drew Blood, Ron Mathis, Rory Mondo, & Matt Tremont
– CZW Wired TV champion Alex Colon vs. Shane Strickland
– Christina von Eerie vs. The Campaign for a Better Combat Zone’s Kimber Lee
– Greg Excellent w/ Mama Excellent vs. Pepper Parks w/ Cherry Bomb
- North American Pro Wrestling will hold a “Toys for Tots Fundraiser” on Saturday, December 14 at the Hickory Grove Banquet Center, located at 1127 N. 7th Street Rochelle, IL.Doors Open 6:30pm Bell Time 7:30pm. It’s an all ages event, with alcohol available to those 21+. Tickets just $10 or 1 new unwrapped/un-opened toy
NAPW Heavyweight Championship for the vacant title:
Grin VS Anthony Antonelli w/KaDance Kelli
Plus: The NAPW return of the Midnight Express Reboot, former NAPW Champion Pauly Thomaselli, Machine, Jack Carpenter, The Chi-Town Hitman Frankie, Mike Anthony, and Dereck St Holmes and more! .
So as I ask promotions and readers each year, please e-mail any announcements about scheduled Holiday charitable-themed (fund-raisers for clothes, food pantries or Toys for Toys, etc.) wrestling or MMA events to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Until next time…
If you have comments or questions, or if you’d like to add the AS I SEE IT column to your website, I can be reached by e-mail at the address above. If you’d like to add advertising on PWBTS.com (the flagship website of this column), banner ads are available for $400 for one year. These ads would appear on each newspage appearing on the newsboard. Cube ads are available for $200 for one year, which would be placed on the main newsboard page.