Little introduction to this article series:
• 3 matches will be spotlighted every Sunday morning based on their nostalgic qualities, their in-ring performances, their campiness, and their performers’ contributions to today’s wrestling world.
• Will always showcase the big 3 (WWF/E, WCW, TNA).
• Will sprinkle in some ECW every now and then. We don’t want TOO much bloodshed too early in the morning, now do we?
• Not EVERY match will be a squash, but it’s always nice to see the fan favorite totally dominate.
• Main event of Squash Match Sunday will normally have a title on the line, and will ALWAYS be a quality wrestling match.
…Let’s get to the action!
EARLY BIRD SPECIAL
Paul Roma and Billy Jack Haynes team up to take on the ridiculous wrecking crew of Big John Studd and King Kong Bundy. Watch out for a mid-match promo starring “The King” Harley Race.
MID CARD HANGOVER
Our Mid Card Hangover match showcases a homegrown WCW product and one of those “transplanted” WWF hired guns, as Diamond Dallas Page takes on Syxx. Shame Kimberly couldn’t hang out at ringside during this stinker..I mean..this well-executed match. PS – Syxx was in the nWo at the time, so if you saw Syxx and immediately thought “Interference”, you’d be right!!
Things to keep an eye/ear out for:
• I love how Syxx actually sells DDP doing his Diamond hand motion.
• Pump-handle backbreaker by DDP? Hall of Fame! IMMEDIATELY!!!
• Hogan vs. Luger for the World Title next week on Nitro?? I can’t wait to see who wins that one!!
• Mr. Perfect and Vincent helping the 1-2-3 Kid win a match? Only in WCW…
YOUR MAIN EVENT OF THE MORNING
YOUR main event of the morning stars two of the brightest wrestling talents, at the time, as Low-ki takes on AJ Styles for the X Division Title back in a 2002 NWA-TNA ring. And as we all know, Low-ki eventually became Kwang the ninja in the WWE.
Your main event worthy commentary of the afternoon:
• I’m KIDDING about Low-ki becoming Kwang. Obviously, he became Aldo Motoya.
• No clue what that noise was at 4:38 of this match. Perhaps it was Don West passing a foreign object?
• RING OF HONOR SHOUT OUT!! WHOOT!
• So Low-ki had to beat Daniels, Skipper, Romeo, AND Tony Mamaluke in order to earn this match? Yikes…
Well that about does it from my end, enjoy your Sunday afternoon and remember…
If you want to get what you want in this life, you HAVE to beat up Tony Mamaluke!