Little introduction to this article series:
• 3 matches will be spotlighted every Sunday morning based on their nostalgic qualities, their in-ring performances, their campiness, and their performers’ contributions to today’s wrestling world.
• Will always showcase the big 3 (WWF/E, WCW, TNA).
• Will sprinkle in some ECW every now and then. We don’t want TOO much bloodshed too early in the morning, now do we?
• Not EVERY match will be a squash, but it’s always nice to see the fan favorite totally dominate.
• Main event of Squash Match Sunday will normally have a title on the line, and will ALWAYS be a quality wrestling match.
…Let’s get to the action!
EARLY BIRD SPECIAL
Steve “Mongo” McMichael takes on Alex Wright in a 1997 WCW ring to kick things off here on Squash Match Sunday. And ohhhhhhh BABY is this a squash!
MID CARD HANGOVER
Big Poppa Pump Scott Steiner and Booker T teamed up ALLLLL the way back in 2009 to square up against Tag Team Champs Beer Money at TNA Victory Road. Beer Money? Mid Card Hangover? GET IT?!?!
Things to keep an eye/ear out for:
• “SHUT UP!” – Scott Steiner about 50 times during this match…or any match.
• How come when TNA commentators actually commentate the match at hand, it’s a borderline boring tag match. Did they rob a graveyard and prop the bodies up in the crowd? This is brutal.
• Not to validate the finish, but I could EASILY see the WWE using the same finish. I think they HAVE done that on many occasions! (See: Bautista and Ric Flair.)
• Seriously, if Booker T and Scott Steiner formed a tag team back in 1999 instead of 2009? WOW is all I have to say to that….hey, I’m allowed to geek out!
YOUR MAIN EVENT OF THE MORNING
Now while there is no title on the line in YOUR main event of the morning, there IS history behind this match. Bad News Brown dukes it out against Rowdy Roddy Piper in a Wrestlemania VI grudge match. Yes, this is the match where Hot Rod has exactly 50% of his body painted black. Enjoy!
Your main event worthy commentary of the afternoon:
• Favorite part of Wrestlemania VI? Not this match…not the Hogan/Warrior match…it’s the motorized mini-rings all of the wrestlers rode to the ring!
• Piper has literally covered half of his body with blackface, and Monsoon and Ventura are offended with Danny Davis’s officiating?!?! Damn I miss the 80s!
• I wonder if Pat Patterson helped Hot Rod paint beneath the trunks…
• Hot Rod’s pansy dive off the mini-ring dock was the cherry on top of this racial mess of a wrestling match.
Well that about does it from my end, enjoy your Sunday afternoon and remember…
Questionable officiating will ALWAYS trump blackface in the ‘racism’ department!