IN THE ROOM-26

This week on a special “Welcome Back Lillian Garcia” edition of IN THE ROOM on WEXP Philly and thebradyhicks.com, THE Brady Hicks, DJ, and Mike Bessler check in to offer their thoughts on WWE Raw, a Kevin Nash ladder match, the future of promising stars such as Dolph Ziggler and Zach Ryder, and, of course, Lillian Garcia. Pus, a discussion of WWF/E title belts over the years – and which ones the gang prefer – and some perspectives on the new WWE Network. Make sure to vote for the Who’s Slammy Awards on Facebook (search IN THE ROOM on WEXP), and call in to the show each week at (609) 755-5ITR. Thanks for the support!

29 Responses to IN THE ROOM

1. Avatar Kevin McElvaney
    Kevin McElvaney says:

You guys Tommy Fierro’d our title belt discussion. Can’t wait for the launch of hicksthecrowd.com in 2012! ;)

2. Avatar Pat Piper
    Pat Piper says:

Who the hell called into your show besmirching my good name? He sounded like the love child of Sling Blade and the Waterboy!

i would like to take this time on the board to announce that the mat minutae/mr akbaz Christmas special has been cancelled due to my attitude problem about the whole holiday season and timing issues about why a Christmas special needs to be on or before Christmas.

• I’m sorry to hear that.

• Avatar dividebyzero
      dividebyzero says:

booo…turn that frown around, Mr. Furry and Brown!

4. Avatar Ashley
    Ashley says:

What do you want for Christmas Brady? ;)

Seasons greetings everyone.

After this weeks show I’m starting to think Mike “I’ll answer every question except the one you actually asked” Bessler is the perfect long term replacement for Kevin ” I can bring any conversation to a screeching halt” McElvaney. Maybe I should change my Slammy nomination.

I can’t believe that those of you that aren’t high can’t get excited about Nash vs HHH in a ladder match! It is the product of all the hard work Nash and Hunter did at completely ruining CM Punks rise this summer when things became fun and interesting again. They did matches like a sledgehammer at the top of a ladder in classic ECW except they were call ‘Stairway to Hell’ matches which is what WWE probably would have called it except maybe they can actually see the irony in doing that this time around.

• Avatar Jason
      Jason says:

What is going to be classic in that match is when the sledgehammer just falls down in the middle of the match and the two stand there and look at each other. For some reason I just see them not rigging it properly and doing that. Those unplanned spots are always funny. Like when there was a first blood match between Hogan and Flair and they bled right away so they changed the stips to pinfall. I think it was Savage that eliminated himself in a Royal Rumble forgetting you cant jump over the top rope and they had to quickly make the cant eliminate yourself rule since he was involved in the finish. I remember watching a tape of one of the old FMW explosion death matches and the explosion just never happened. I cant remember if it was Funk/Onita or someone else with Onita but the time came for a blowup and it just fizzled and they stood there. I guess someone set it off a few minutes later as everyone was caught off guard when it blew.

• Funny … I actually envisioned the same thing happening. Those kind of moments are priceless … Like when Papa Shango came out late, forcing Sid to become the only man to kick out of the legdrop … and Batista eliminating himself from the Rumble when he was supposed to eliminate Cena, and they had to do overtime rather than two winners again …

• Avatar Jason
          Jason says:

Papa Shango was classic. What a cluster that finish was. Here it is the main event of WrestleMania and they dont have a guy at the curtain telling him to run. Ill never understand that finish at all and I guess there must be a story somewhere about Sids contract, but Shango made it a million times worse.

• My understanding too is that Sid failed a drug test at WM, but they let him do the European tour that followed anyway. After that, they were going to suspend him, so he walked out.

If you have never seen it watch the famous King of The Death Match Final between Funk and Foley were the same thing happened and instead of an explosion the crappiest ever fireworks show took place with Funk looking more confused than normal.

I don’t know if it’s the same match but I remember a match I think between Hogan and Flair that was meant to be an I quit match in a cage that somehow ended in a pinfall. Classic WCW.

If you ever watch either of the WWE ladder match boxsets it’s amazing how many times someone goes for a pin early on in the match and most of the time it looks like they genuinely forgot it was a ladder match. I don’t think it is that suprising because I’m sure alot of matches are done on autopilot to a certain degree anyway especially by those that have been around the black a few times.

I see Hunter going 2-3 rungs up a ladder and then Nash sneaking up behind and powerbombing him before getting ol’ sledgy. That or they will do what Y2J and HBK did and swing back and forth holding it before they both fall backwards accidentally for a classic “Was that meant to happen?” moment.

• Avatar Jason
          Jason says:

Definitely some of those old death matches had all kinds of technical problems. That Funk/Foley one is where they had the countdown to the explosion right? And it was like 3 little firecrackers went off. The first blood match was in a cage so its possible that could have been another stip in the same match that they forgot about. The problem with WCW is the big money guys I think would just go to the ring and do whatever they wanted.

If they really wanted to do a fun finish they should have Nash go for the jacknife on one of the lower rungs and have HHH grab the sledgehammer on the ride up, but I think these guys are too old and big to pull something like that off. Those things are tough to do for anyone. If you watch SS 1995 youll see that Michaels botched the finish. He wanted to jump off the ladder and grab the belt in the air, hang from it and release it, and he missed it. He starting acting all pissed and set the ladder under it and did the regular finish. I think years later they may have done the finish with Hardy.

• Avatar Kevin McElvaney
      Kevin McElvaney says:

Geez, Vince. Tell me how you really feel.

It’s not my fault. I have 2 years worth of podcasts full of DJ and Brady saying that. I’m young and impressionable and if they say that you are essentially the Cole to their Lawler and JR, who am I to argue? Vote for me in the Who Slammys and I’ll see what I can do. I already rented a tux for the occasion so I will look pretty stupid if I don’t win. It is black tie right?

• Avatar KevinMcElvaney
          KevinMcElvaney says:

They can say whatever they want. They love me and know I add to the show when I can actually record and not be a wet turd.

• You’re more like a polished turd.

• But we love ya.

Always remember, you can’t polish a turd BUT you can roll it in glitter.

And in the spirit of the season I love you too. Of all the great people that have made PWI/ITR possible you are in the top 15 easily.

• Avatar KevinMcElvaney
      KevinMcElvaney says:

And you’re one of my top 50 favorite commenters.

It’s those kinds of accolades my resume has been missing untill now.

Hey board, it’s been fun, but unfortunately this might be the last time you hear from me. I just got a job with WWE in the television studio in Stamford working on the new network!!! I am not sure how they look at us employees interacting with podcasters so until I find out more about the atmosphere there, you might not hear from me again. I hope to return to the board one day but for now, I don’t want to ruffle any feathers and jeopardize my dream job. Take care everyone!

• Avatar KevinMcElvaney
      KevinMcElvaney says:

You’ve been kind of a butt on here, but if you really did get that job, I offer a hearty “congratulations” to you. Good luck with the new gig!

8. Avatar Pat Piper
    Pat Piper says:

Congrats Brother Germaine, but if it doesn’t work out don’t pull a Tommy Fierro saying how you achieved your dream by joining the WWE by taking 2 buses and 2 cabs to work therefore losing money (if anyone remembers what I’m referring to).

Thanks Pat! Yeah I remember Fierro’s brief stint and consequencent tear jerking podcast on how his boyhood dream had become a reality. Only to declare that he was too good for the job. Wonder what he’s doing now? Must be busy updating popthecrowd. Anyways, keep making the board interesting Pat!

• Avatar bobby fitzpatrick
      bobby fitzpatrick says:

Thats great i dont think they would have a problem with some dude from janitorial or maintenance commenting on the boards here, hey you missed a spot,