• 3 matches will be spotlighted every Sunday morning based on their nostalgic qualities, their in-ring performances, their campiness, and their performers’ contributions to today’s wrestling world.
• Not EVERY match will be a squash, but it’s always nice to see the fan favorite totally dominate.
• Main event of Squash Match Sunday will normally have a title on the line, and will ALWAYS be a quality wrestling match.
…Let’s get to the action!
EARLY BIRD SPECIAL
Ho ho ho!!! Merry Christmas!! Or to you non-Gentiles out there…Merry Squash Match Sunday!!! Let’s take a look at Xanta Claus (yes, that’s spelled correctly) as he takes on Scott Taylor on WWF Superstars in 1995.
Incoming smark comment:
MID CARD HANGOVER
Sting takes on Ric “Nature Boy” Flair at some random WCW Monday Nitro in 2001. And by random, I mean this is the last match from the last Monday Nitro ever. I know I showcase a lot of Flair and Sting from WCW, so consider this a Christmas present to myself. Besides, I’m hooking you guys up for YOUR Main Event of the Morning!
Things to keep an eye/ear out for:
• If you made a drinking game out of how many times the WCW announce team mentions “Mr. McMahon” during this match…well…you’d be very drunk by the end.
• Every time Schiavone mentions how he isn’t guaranteed a job after this match, I kind of believe him!
YOUR MAIN EVENT OF THE MORNING
We’re going indie for our Main Event of the Morning! Jay and Mark Briscoe take on Austin Aries and Roderick Strong for the ROH World Tag Team Championship in 2006. I apologize in advance for the commercial breaks, THIS is why I normally don’t use Dailymotion.
Your main event worthy commentary of the afternoon:
• Normally I take a cheap dig at the announce team but considering the ROH team commentates with the microphones in their mouths, I can’t make out a word they’re saying.
• So….much…technical wrestling…and proper usage of tag teams…this truly is the most wonderful time of the year!!
• The way this match finished, I can see why the WWE won’t invest on tag teams like these. It would make their singles division look childish…OK, OK, even MORE childish than it already is.
Well that about does it from my end, enjoy your Sunday afternoon with this video of your NEW World Heavyweight Champion Daniel “Bryan Danielson” Bryan sneezing with his eyes open!