• 3 matches will be spotlighted every Sunday morning based on their nostalgic qualities, their in-ring performances, their campiness, and their performers’ contributions to today’s wrestling world.
• Not EVERY match will be a squash, but it’s always nice to see the fan favorite totally dominate.
• Main event of Squash Match Sunday will normally have a title on the line, and will ALWAYS be a quality wrestling match.
…Let’s get to the action!
EARLY BIRD SPECIAL
Nick Bockwinkel is taking on Angel Rivera in a completely unfair, one-sided AWA ring back in 1980. Ahhhh, what a refreshing way to start Squash Match Sunday this morning.
MID CARD HANGOVER
Our mid card match features an over-the-hill, insanely effeminate Adrian Adonis against an over-the-hill, insane George “The Animal” Steele in a 1986 WWF ring that had no need whatsoever for a referee.
BONUS: It’s called by Gorilla and The Brain.
Things to keep an eye/ear out for:
• First off, I’m aware that “Adorable” Adrian Adonis has always been an “effeminate” character but….MAH GAWD KING, MAH GAWD!!!
• I’m liking the entrance ramp that is level to the ring. I’m LOVING the usage of the entrance ramp in this match. You go, old fellas!
YOUR MAIN EVENT OF THE MORNING
Now that I’ve gotten all of the squash out of my system, let’s watch a QUALITY wrestling match. A very talkative Chris Jericho (DO YOU SEE WHAT I DID THERE?!?!) takes on Juventud Guerrera at WCW/nWo Superbrawl VIII back in 1998. This was one of Jericho’s famous Mask vs. Title matches, where Jericho’s WCW Cruiserweight title and Juvi’s mask are on the line.
Your main event worthy commentary of the afternoon:
• Looks like Jericho is wearing the belt as some sort of psychological advantage. Obviously, he never played with the fans after this stunt.
• Seems as though the only difference between a WCW cruiserweight match on TV and on a PPV is the name on the mat. 110% given at all times by these guys.
• It must have really, really sucked for Juvi to lose his mask. I’m sure it wasn’t exactly a mutual agreenment between Juvi and Bischoff but…”Quasi juice”? “Quasi forever”? Bless you Jericho!
Well that about does it from my end, enjoy your Sunday afternoon!